[Nek5000-users] Rotating computational domain

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 24 10:26:47 CDT 2018

Hi Paul and Phillip,

Thanks for your replies.  I will try to apply ALE to the entire domain and
play with the BCs to try and get a result.  I've already rejected the
standard C-mesh for airfoils in favor of an unstructured circular domain
because the C-mesh boundaries are not conducive to rotating the entire
domain.  If I'm unsuccessful with this approach I will try to apply a
rotating inflow and add a Coriolis force to correct.  In either case, if
everything works out I would like to submit a very small example case to
the Nek documentation to help others in their quest for a rotating domain.
I'll post back here if I run into trouble, thanks again for your insight!

-Harry

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:30 AM, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Harry,
>

> One simple approach is to use ALE but to have the entire domain pitch,
>
> thus preserving your mesh structure.
>

> That would properly account for all the accelerations in your non inertial
>
> domain.
>

> The slightly tricky part would be to determine what BCs you need.  You
>
> need to be careful about changing the character of the BCs (e.g., from
> inflow
>
> to outflow)  in the middle of a computation because that changes which
> quantities
>
> are prescribed and which are unknown.   Perhaps one approach would be
>
> to have a circular domain with 3/4 of it Dirichlet and 1/4 being outflow
> (i.e.,
>
> Neumann for velocity).
>

> hth,
>

> Paul