[Nek5000-users] Rotating computational domain

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 21 09:43:56 CDT 2018

Hello Neks,

I am an undergraduate student new to Nek and I am working on a simulation
studying dynamic stall in a dynamically pitching airfoil.  I want to do a
pitch and hold simulation at low Reynold's number (Re = 12000) where I
rotate the entire computational domain up to about 50 degrees AOA and then
hold at 50 degrees, with steady inflow ux = 1.  I would like to rotate the
domain about the z axis, which passes through the quarter chord location of
the airfoil profile (modified NACA 0012).

Because of the steep AOA, I would like to stay away from pitching the
airfoil within the stationary domain with ALE to avoid too much mesh
deformation.  To this end, I have been scouring documentation to try and
find a method of applying a rotational mesh velocity to the entire domain
about the z axis while keeping the flow within the domain at ux = 1.  I am
feeling very stuck.  Others have suggested applying a Coriolis force to the
flow, but I don't really see how this would simulate rotation of the entire
domain.  It seems to me that simulation of a Coriolis force would be
acceptable to correct the flow field to always be ux = 1 inside a rotating
domain, but I don't see how that would apply a mesh velocity anywhere.

Are there any examples where an entire computational domain is rotated that
I can look at, or has anybody done similar work who can point me in the
right direction?

Regards,
-Harry