[Nek5000-users] Pipe flow

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 19 11:15:09 CDT 2018

Hi,
the pressure gradient is a constant force in the axial direction (i.e.
no radial dependence). You can then, via a simple force balance, compute
the resulting wall shear stress, which then together with the chosen
Reynolds number (i.e. what you set in the rea/par file) defines you the
friction Reynolds number.

I don't have the formulas for pipe flow ready, but in channel flow it
becomes:

ffz = -dpw/dx = tauw = 1/Re_cl*dU/dy|w

and with that

Re_tau=Re_cl * sqrt(-dpw/dx)=Re_cl * sqrt(ffz).

So you can easily set the combination of ffz and Re_cl for a target
Re_tau. Note that you would like to have U_bulk as close to 1 as
possible in order to accelerate convergence.

Best regards,
Philipp