[Nek5000-users] Postpro, averages and fluctuations

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 18 09:08:21 CDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I've been collecting information in the mailing list about these topics,
but I still have some doubts.

After I finish my 3D simulations I'm interested in calculate the average
field of u, v, w and T; and also the instantaneous fluctuation fields.
Everything in a specific plane.

So what I should do is to incorporate avg_all in usercheck, specifying a
frequency as param(68). Then, when the simulation ends, I should run a case
in postproc mode, that is setting nsteps=0, I should create a file with the
averages filenames called case.list, and in usercheck call auto_averager.

Is that going to create different files with the final averages? one for
each field? Or is it going to load the results in nek and I should outpost
them?

Then, for the instantaneous fluctuations, I should load all my simulation
results calling load_fld, and substrac them the average I just obtained,
for each field. But I'm not sure how to do this.

I read that when load_fld is called, the variables are set in vx, vy, vz,
T, right? But since I have several case0.f000X files, then should I load
them one by one, make the substract, outpost the fluctuation, and so on?

Thank you very much in advance!

Juan Pablo.