[Nek5000-users] Convection velocity and outlet BC

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 17 11:59:56 CDT 2017

Dear Neks,

for different convective boundary conditions there is a parameter I need to
calculate: the convection velocity, which can be aproximated as the mean
streamwise velocity averaged at the exit plane.

Is there a quick way to calculate Uc for each time step?

Now I'm using Dong (2014) BC, but it also needs a convection velocity, and
I'm using an aproximate number, but I'd like to calculate the right one.

On the other hand, the BC I'd like to try now is:

(du_i/dt)+Uc*(du_i/dy)=0
(dT/dt)+Uc*(dT/dy)=0

where the stramwise direction is y, since it is a free convection flow, and
Uc is the convection velocity.
And, any idea or help to implement those BC?

Thank you very much,

Juan Pablo.