[Nek5000-users] plunging flat plate doesn't start

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 16 04:42:41 CDT 2017

I successfully found the problem on my simulation. Now the plate starts
its motion, but, simulations doesn't last for more than 3 or 4
timesteps, since deformation of the mesh around the plate during the motion
leads on vanishing jacobian near the TE of the body. Since I only need a
rigid motion, and I didn't found the possibility to run a simulation
with a moving rigid grid, I changed reference of frame, running the
simulation
in the body frame, and it is working very well.

Mario

On 09/14/2017 07:14 AM, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:
> I am trying to simulate a plunging flat plate at various reduced
> frequency and amplitude.
> I successfully played a fixed plate invested by a freestream flow,
> with Wall conditions on the infintely thin plate, dirichelt upstream,
> on the top and on the bottom and outlet downstream.
> Mesh is composed by six box around the plate.
> When I tried to switch on the plunging plate case, changing the Wall
> condition to mv, I can't see the plate moving (I tried to increase
> both frequency and amplitude, but I can't see the movement), and the
> simulation, after
> two steps suddendly diverges. You can see in the attachement the box,
> rea, usr map and SIZE I used. I need the vorticity field, and later
> on, its time derivative, all over the fluid flow.
> Can you help me?
>
> Thanks, Mario

Mario Ostieri

Ph.D. Student