[Nek5000-users] Problems with post-processing multiple-boxes in MATLAB and Python

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 14 09:57:27 CDT 2017

Hi All,

I am using Nek5000 to simulate a buoyant plume rising from the centre of the floor of a square 2D domain.  I am trying to use MATLAB and/or Python to post-process my data.  Everything works fine when I post-process a simulation that was initialised with only one box in my .box file.  When, however, I run a simulation with multiple boxes (i.e. to cluster nodes), the local to global mapping of elements appears to go wrong and puts data into the wrong places.  When plotting a contour plot of coordinates for example, where I would expect a constantly changing colour gradient, I instead get back colour gradients in four quarters.

I haven't used this list before so if I need to provide examples of images or code I can do.  If anybody else has had this problem and has found a way to overcome it by finding the correct mapping some help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Daniel Ward