[Nek5000-users] Strong divergence and Laplacian operator

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 3 16:25:49 CDT 2017

Hi Nicolas,

You can use gradm1 to get your strong divergence.

Laplacian is a bit trickier since the 2nd derivative really is well-defined.

Some people compute the gradient and then apply dsavg() to each component

prior to taking the divergence of that field.

Right now there are no tools to do exactly the thing you want, so using gradm1()

is as good as any option.

Note that gradm1() is as efficient (or more so) than some of the other tools

to compute gradient in Nek.  In order to get (say) du/dx, you have to compute

du/dr , du/ds , du/dt, and then get du/dx from the chain rule.   du/dy, du/dz

also come from the chain rule, almost for free, even though you don't need them.

So you can simplify everything just through repeated use of gradm1.

Best, Paul