[Nek5000-users] IFCHAR option in rea file

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 6 06:30:47 CST 2017

Dear NN,

If your flow is turbulent the answer is definitely Yes (they will be different) because of the standard sensitivity to initial condition concerns.

Despite this, both schemes are O(dt^k) accurate, meaning  that as dt-->0, the error goes to _zero_ as dt^k, where k=Torder is the prescribed temporal order.   Since the error goes to zero, both will deliver the same answer provided that the physical solution is stable and has an attractor.   [Understanding when such conditions prevail is often a challenge.]

Paul