[Nek5000-users] Contents of Nek5000-users digest, Vol 99, Issue 14 Message 1

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 22 09:37:18 CDT 2017

Hi Daniel,

Technically, you need 1.5x in each direction.  This generally proves to be overly conservative,
however.

Yes - if you set param 103 in the .rea file to be 0.1, it will remove 10% of the energy
in the Nth mode at every time step, which gives a reasonably effective grid-scale filter
that is also relatively benign when you are well resolved.

If your N is large ( > 8, say) then I would set param 101 = lx1/5 or lx1/6.    p101 controls
the number of modes, in addition to the Nth one, that are touched by the filter.  The filter
is applied with a parabolic round-off of the form:

sigma =  1 - p103 * [  (k-k_cut) / (lx1-k_cut) ]^2   for k > k_cut,   sigma = 1, otherwise,

where k_cut = p101+1.

So, when k=lx1, you have sigma = 1-p103  (=0.9 if p103=0.1)

when k = k_cut,  sigma = 1.

The significance of sigma is that it is the multiplier in the modal filter basis, given by:

phi_k(x) = L_k(x) - L_{k-1}(x), for k=2,...,lx1,

So, expanding

   u(x) = \sum_k u^k phi_k

we construct the filtered solution as

   ubar(x) = sum_k  sigma_k  u^k  phi_k(x)

Obviously, if all the sigmas = 1, then ubar == u.

Common values are to run with p103=.05, p101=0, depending on resolution.