[Nek5000-users] Nek5000 documentation details: Pn-Pn pressure solver

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 6 12:59:53 CDT 2017

Dear Vlad,

this is correct, the coupled Helmholtz solve is used in the case of the
full stress tensor
because in that case the stress tensor is not diagonal.

The splitting approach is based on an irrotational-solenoidal decomposition
of the velocity
(which is described in the 1997 JSC paper); the divergence of the former,
which appears in
the rhs of the pressure equation is treated implicitly (it is zero in the
case of constant viscosity
and incompressible flow), whereas the divergence of the latter is treated
explicitly through the
vorticity (which also appears in the pressure rhs and the pressure BC and
is again zero in the
case of constant viscosity and incompressible flow; this is not the case in
the pressure BC) .

It was proved in the JSC and JCP papers that this splitting approach, which
allows for an
uncoupled solution of the pressure and velocity equations, leads to a
high-order overall
accuracy in time.

Best,
Ananias