[Nek5000-users] ?= Output format of Nek5000 fil

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 28 03:02:07 CST 2017

Hi,
About format of ###.f files.f As it was written it is binary format
supporting both single- and multi-file output. That is why you have
single (or more) digit before the dot in the file number. If you specify
multiple file output this first digit numbers files in a single snapshot
and the last five digits give snapshot number. When it comes to file
interior. First you have 132 character long header that is ascii and can
be read directly. It contains:
- wdsizo -  number of words per real field (to distinguish between
single and double precision output
- nxo,nyo,nzo - number of grid points in the element in each direction
- nelo -  number of elements in given file (important for multi-file output)
- nelgt - global number of elements (in all files; the same as nelo for
single file output)
- time - real number for simulation time
- istep - time step
- fid0 - current file number (for multi-file output, 0 for single file
output)
- nfileoo -  number of files in the snapshot
- few characters specifying what fields are saved; e.g. XUP - means
coordinates, velocity, pressure. Notice the coordinates do not have to
be saved in a file, but they can!!!
- p0th -  this is only in new format and gives averaged pressure (not
all simulations specify this number)

The header is followed by single real (4 bytes) test pattern to
distinguish between  big and little endian. Next come nelo integers with
local-to-global element mapping, which assigns every element in the file
its global identity that was used by nek5000 during simulation. After
that you have fields you've specified for writing
- X - physical coordinate - vector
- U - velocity -vector
- P - pressure - scalar
- T - temperature - scalar
- S - passive scalar -scalar; here you can have digits specifying number
of passive scalars
All variables are specified per element, however in the case of scalars
you have nelo sections with nxo*nyo*nzo reals, but for vectors you get
ndim*nelo sections with nxo*nyo*nzo reals, as vector component are saved
per element, to per array. It means you have vx, vy, vz for first
element, next vx, vy, vz for second element and so on.
Concluding. If you want to know exact physical position of your grid
points you have to save coordinates in the file. You do it in ###.rea
file by specifying at the end of the file:
            6  SPECIFICATIONS FOLLOW
  T       COORDINATES
  T       VELOCITY
  T       PRESSURE
  F       TEMPERATURE
  F       TEMPERATURE GRADIENT
or in ###.par file be setting
[MESH]
writeToFieldFile = yes

When you have them in the file you can easily read coordinates and use
them in any way.
I hope this was not too long and detailed.
Regards
Adam