[Nek5000-users] Parallel speedup on supercomputer Tianhe-2

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Dec 4 23:12:09 CST 2016

Dear Neks,

I'm using Nek5000 to simulate turbulent Rayleigh-Benard convection, which
is governed by the coupled Navier-Stokes equations and convective heat
equation. I'm running the code on a supercomputer, Tianhe-2, located in
Guangzhou, China. Each computer node in Tianhe-2 has 24 cores (2 Xeon E5
12-core CPUs) and 64GB memory. I find the speedup curve is not linear on a
single node. For example, a 24-task job is only 8 times faster than the
serial one. However, the performance with an increasing number of nodes is
quite good. I don't know whether there is any parameter in nek500 that I
can change in order to improve the speedup performance of the individual
nodes.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Wei XU

Wei XU
Ph.D. Candidate
Nano Science and Technology Program
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology