[Nek5000-users] Spectral method with Nek

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 2 10:53:58 CDT 2016

All,

I was wondering if the following statement is true or false:

"If a single element is used for the whole domain then one can claim the
Nek simulation is spectral instead of spectral element".

Based on this, I carried out DNS on cavity for relatively large Reynolds
numbers and I was not able to capture the instability mechanisms with
one element (even when I increased the power of polynomial to 12 or 18).
While I'm not surprised, I just wanted to see if anyone else has a
similar experience.

As a side question, why Nek utilizes Legendre polynomials instead of
Chebyshev for each element? Is this because we're also interested in
modeling non-uniformly spaced nodes?

Best,
Saleh