[Nek5000-users] Mesh morphing

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 17 12:54:18 CST 2015

Dear Neks,

I thought this question might be of interest for someone else as well,
so posting it here:

I have been looking at the oscillating cylinder example. I would like
to do something similar, but instead of a prescribed boundary
velocity, would like to prescribe a given displacement of one
boundary, and morph my mesh smoothly everywhere to match this
displacement. For example, if one were to describe a deformation of
the cylinder rather than a velocity (but without altering the other
boundaries and without scaling the mesh). This just needs to be done
once, not at every time step.

Is there an easy way to do this? Can I arrive there somehow by minor
modifications of the elasticity solver? What equation exactly is the
elasticity solver solving at every time step?
(When I outputted the files after every time step for the oscillating
cylinder, the mesh deformation seemed to match the prescribed one only
after 2 time steps. Is there a reason for this, or did I do something
wrong?)

Best regards,
Outi