[Nek5000-users] freestream turbulence at INLET

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 14 00:39:07 CST 2015

Dear Rif,

In our wing simulation the boundary layers are tripped using a volume
force in the direction normal to the surface, emulating the approach
used in wind tunnel experiments. Such tripping devices include sand
paper and "V" disturbances, and in wind tunnel measurements the
transition location is prescribed, whereas the turbulence level is
very low. This is done to obtain a "canonical" developing turbulent
boundary layer, to ease the study of turbulence effects. This is also
done in our case, where the turbulence intensity is zero at the
boundaries (since the velocity is prescribed at all times).

Regarding your simulation, could you gives us more details about your
setup? What RANS models are using in Fluent, and is it a
time-dependent simulation? What geometry are you simulating in Nek?

Best regards,

Ricardo Vinuesa.