[Nek5000-users] freestream turbulence at INLET

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 14 00:39:19 CST 2015

Dear Rif,

In our wing simulation the boundary layers are tripped using a volume force in the direction normal to the surface. This emulates the approach in wind tunnel experiments, where the models are tripped using sand paper, V disturbances, etc. In such wind tunnel tests the transition location is prescribed, and the freestream turbulence intensity is very low. The idea is to have a “canonical” turbulent boundary layer, developing in the most controlled way in order to study the effects of turbulence. Therefore, in our wing simulation turbulence is also zero at our boundaries.

Regarding the use of Fluent data in Nek, could you give us some more information about your setup? Which RANS model are you using, and is it time-dependent? What kind of geometry are you simulating?

Best regards,

Ricardo Vinuesa.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10