[Nek5000-users] Infinite Prandtlnumber with Nek5000

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 17 03:55:36 CDT 2015

Hello Lailai,
I see oscillations in the velocity field with a period dependent on the
time step (shorter timesteps result in faster oscillations), which only
decay very slowly. I haven't tested increasing the resolution here, this
might  be the reason. However, the method outlined by Paul seems to work
fine at the same resolutions and converges very fast. The big caveat
here is that I haven't tested the results against other codes or
theoretical predictions yet. I am not working on the subject of inf.
Prandtlnumber flows myself, but other members of my group were
interested in Nek5000, so I gave it a try.

Cheers,
Jan