[Nek5000-users] Curved GLL Points on Airfoil

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 26 16:10:35 CDT 2014

Hello Neks,

I am trying to simulate the flow around an interpolated airfoil with curved
boundaries. To do so I am generating the collocation points separately and
writing them into an input file, which is read in the usrdat2 subroutine
before geometry re-initialization. The only curved elements in the mesh are
located at the airfoil boundary. I am not getting any errors during geometry
re-initialization. However, the calculation starts off with a large courant
number (around 7), which ends up diverging after 5 times steps. Along the
element edges near the airfoil, there seems to be discontinuities in the
flow which cause the solution to diverge. However, when inputting
non-curvilinear collocation points, written in the exact same order to the
input file, the simulation runs flawlessly.

Are there any switches that must be activated in the rea file for curved
elements?

If not, are there any general guidelines to using curved elements in this
manner?

Thanks,

Jeremie