[Nek5000-users] Moab Issues

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 12 06:12:29 CDT 2014

Hi All,

Thanks for your response Vijay, I managed to get both moab examples to work successfully! (As an aside I found my simulation works the same with or without Zoltan thus is there a point in having it installed?)

However my main issue is now that when I try to use my own .h5m mesh my simulation crashes citing following error:

read .rea file
 ASSERT ERROR:           14 in moab.f  line         477

This error has been previously flagged and the solution was given that I must first partition my mesh into parallel sections using:

mpiexec -np 4 mbconvert -O PARALLEL=READ_PART -O PARTITION=PARALLEL_PARTITION -O PARALLEL_RESOLVE_SHARED_ENTS -O
PARALLEL_GHOSTS=3.0.1 -o PARALLEL=WRITE_PART <your_mesh_file> dummy.h5m

In true fashion I encounter further errors!

When running this function using my mesh created using Cubit (Trelis) I receive the error:

Failed to load "channel.h5m".
Error code: MB_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (9)
Error message: Failed in step PARALLEL READ PART
NULL file handle.

This error is also displayed when I attempt to run the test using the example listed on the Moab webpage: http://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/ITAPS/wiki/ParallelRead

I understand this may not be your area of expertise but any help is appreciated!

Maybe my approach to the creation of new meshes is incorrect. I am using Cubit(Trelis) to create my mesh and set my boundary conditions then converting from .cub to .h5m using mbconvert. Then reading using Moab enable Nek5000.

I am intending to eventually run jet flow simulations and feel this method is easier to create the geometry than using prex or any of the other tools especially when using a fairly complex and changing mesh geometry?

Thank you for your time,

Friedrich Grabner.