[Nek5000-users] Upper Memory Bounds per Core

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 8 12:17:48 CDT 2014

Neks,

I was attempting to run a scaled down problem on my workstation to prepare
for submission on a cluster when I noticed some strange behavior.  The
scaled down version of the problem has 1716 elements and I am running it
with lx1=8. According to Dr. Fischer's estimate in the primer this should
be around 4 GB of memory, and my workstation has 32 GB of memory so it
shouldn't be a problem.

However, when I attempt to compile in serial (lp=1, lelt=1716) makenek
aborts telling me there is not enough memory available.  When I compile
with lp>1 and lelt<1100 it will compile and run without a problem.  I found
that the real bottle neck is that lelt has to be below 1100 for this
particular problem.

This leads to my question: how does Nek determine if there is enough memory
during compilation and can it be modified? Is there a hardcoded value
somewhere in the source code? I scanned through the SIZE file and makenek
script, but nothing popped out at me.

Phil Sakievich

PhD Student - Mechanical Engineering
Arizona State University - Ira A. Fulton School for Engineering of Matter
Transport and Energy
Tempe, Arizona