[Nek5000-users] Object definition for surface integrals

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 26 16:59:02 CDT 2014

Hi Ravi,

Inspection of the source routine navier5.f will reveal most of the answers to
your questions.  That is where drag and torque are calculated.   (I recommend
torque_calc, which gives the drag as well and is somewhat superior to drag_calc.)

hcode = history code --- there are several codes used (the convention
follows the Nekton 2.0 convention established in the 80s). Of relevance to
drag/lift/torque are hcode(10,.), which must be 'I' for Integral
quantity, and 1,2,3, which must be 'F' for force.   Just follow the
convention in the ext_cyl.usr example.

Note that the 2nd argument of hcode indicates how many objects
you have.  An Object is a collection of faces. So, you might have
more than one cylinder on which to compute drag, in which case you
would have more than one object.

Each object comprises "nmember(iobj)" faces.

nhis is the number of history elements you are tracking.
It is normally zero, plus the number of objects.  It is
a measure of the number of lines of information dumped to
the .sch file per timestep.

cbc is the character array holding the boundary condition
specifier - one per face per field (velocity, temperature, etc.)

object is a pointer to the members of an object. A member of
an object is a given face (1-6) of a given element.   The
element id is global -- (i.e., not the local element number
which is specific to a given mpi rank).

Paul