[Nek5000-users] Object definition for surface integrals

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 26 16:39:06 CDT 2014

Dean NEK Users,

I am looking for some sort of help or documentation explaining the object
definitions for evaluating surface integrals.

My eventual application will be to evaluate the drag and lift forces for
the case of a 2D flow past a cylinder, supported on elastic foundation,
i.e., vortex-induced vibration simulations using NEK5000.

So far, the examples available in the repository and the NEK mailing list
have enabled me to simulate the motionless cylinder and the case of
cylinder moving with a prescribed motion.

However, I have hard time decoding the surface integral evaluation in
subroutine "set_obj" available in the "ext_cyl.usr". Overall, I understand
that there is a conditional statement to find all the elements (or element
edges) with "W" boundary condition and then an object is created for each
of those elements. It would be very helpful is someone could point me to a
documentation/help, which gives an explanation for the following functions
or variables which have been used in the "set_obj" subroutine.

1. variable "hcode"
2. variable "lochis"
3. variable "nhis"
4. function or variable "cbc"
5. variable "nmember"
6. function or variable "object"

Any hints to understand this subroutine "set_obj" of the example model
"ext_cyl" would be of great help for me to understand and develop the model
for vortex-induced vibration.

In addition, if there is already an example model to perform vortex-induced
vibration, please let me know.

Thanks in advance. Any hints and tips are much appreciated.

Regards,
Ravi

--
Ravi Kumar T R