[Nek5000-users] Fully resolved fluid-structure interaction by NEK5000: a broadcast

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 23 08:50:53 CDT 2014

Hello, dear Nekers,

Here I would like to draw your attention to our recently published paper
'http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2014/sm/c4sm01097c#!divAbstract
<http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2014/sm/c4sm01097c#%21divAbstract>'.
We perform 3D direct numerical simulations by NEK5000 to help the design
of a micro-fluidic device capable of
differentiating and sorting biological cells based on their
deformability. As far as we know, this is the first attempt of using NEK
as a
platform to fully resolve the fluid-structure interaction at low
Reynolds number. Indeed, we use an accelerated
boundary integral method (BIM) to solve the Stokes flow, one part of the
solution is from the Stokes solver of NEK5000, and another
from traditional boundary integral computations. As we employ a
spherical-harmonics-based spectral method to
interpretate the surface of the cell, the whole numerical framework is
of almost spectral accuracy (not exactly due to BIM);
as well as near the immersed interface. For traditional immersed
boundary method or lattice Boltzmann method, the accuracy
near the interface is normally around first to second order. Of course,
we then restrict our simulations in the Stokes regime.
Our manuscript regarding the whole implementation is not published yet,
but is accessible as included in my Phd thesis, page 163
  (http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf;jsessionid=c60f995693b968342b9e9c03c839?pid=diva2:703338). I recently obtained my
Phd degree with Prof. Luca Brandt at KTH Mechanics.

kind regards,

Lailai