[Nek5000-users] Linearised Navier-Stokes: 2D cylinder flow

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 5 17:10:10 CST 2014

Hi Nek's,

I am trying to run a linearised DNS of the flow over a two-dimensional
cylinder at Re=60 for illustration purposes using the ext_cyl example. I am
however encountering some troubles... I have been able to compute the
unstable steady equilibrium using a selective frequency damping approach
without any trouble. However, it is quite a different story when it comes
to the linearised DNS. Indeed, the perturbation velocity field blows up
quite rapidly and I am not sure why. I have tried other flows (lid-driven
cavity, boundary layer, ...) just to make sure I had no problem with  my
nek install and everything was running fine. I have also tried on three
different computers to make sure it was not platform-dependent and it
actually blew up every time. I have been using the linearised version of
nek quite extensively for the past three years and but never had such
problem.

Is there something I have missed there?

Thanks a lot,
JC