[Nek5000-users] relocation errors on small example?

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 4 17:51:18 CST 2014

Hi Tom,

The variable lx1 in the SIZE file essentially specifies the number of grid
points used for _each_ element in the "x" direction (ly1 for "y", lz1 for
"z".  Note here that by "x", "y", "z", we are really talking about the
coordinates defined on the master element, not in physical space).  Thus,
the total number of grid points you are reserving for each variable (u,v,w,
t, etc) is lx1*ly1*lz1*lelt.  So for your specification, you are actually
attempting to allocate space for a very very large problem.  Even if you
could allocate that amount of space (as you were able to by removing some
variables while compiling), I believe NEK by default is only setup to
handle lx1 ~ 30 or below.

I'm assuming you are wanting to have 192 points in each direction for your
problem?  You can either change the number of elements (contained in the
.rea file) or vary lx1 in the SIZE file so that lx1*(number of element in
each direction) ~= 192.

Hopefully this helps!

Josh

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I am trying to set up an example problem with Nek5000.  Unfortunately,
> I'm hitting the notorious:
>
>   relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol
>
> error with it.  I gather from past posts that this is an issue with
> grid/problem sizes. However, I'm just using eddy_uv at the moment, with
> minor modifications to bump the grid size up.  Diff appended.
>
> By removing some (seemingly) unused common blocks for this problem I
> managed to get it to link with a 192x192x1 grid, but it aborts quickly,
> complaining that the problem size is too large.  I feel like I must be
> doing something, because 192x192 of 32bit floats is tiny: 144K.
>
> Could anyone point me towards what I've messed up, here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -tom

Josh Camp

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
-- Edmund Burke