[Nek5000-users] Variable density flows

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 5 06:32:16 CST 2013

Hi Praveen,

The only way to guarantee monotonicity when under-resolved
is to effectively increase viscosity; whether it be uniformly
or locally (preferred).   This is still an active area of
research.   If I were in your place, I would clip until I
found a better strategy... (something still foremost in my
mind).

Note that upwinding, limiters, and the recent (and promising)
entropy viscosity method all achieve monotonicity or near-monotonicity
via (local) dissipation.  (With limiters it's not clear that you're diffusing,
but in effect that is what happens.)

Paul