[Nek5000-users] hello from a new user (+ a couple of questions)

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 4 11:15:49 CST 2013

James,

I have not done a conversion from openFoam format to Nek format myself, but
this should be possible.  The only thing Nek needs for elements are the
element corners (or, additionally, face curvature information in the case
of curved hexahedrals).  The location of the internal solution nodes for
each element are computed at run-time.

All that being said, you might want to use caution when using your existing
OpenFOAM meshes in Nek.  Directly using a mesh designed for a low order
code in a high order code would result in a much larger DOF count than
desired, so it may be best to re-design your mesh for use in Nek.

- Josh

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Firstly, I am a Nek5000 newbie, so please accept my apologies for any daft
> questions!
>

> - I have been working through the draft user guide, and am trying to view
> the the eddy_uv case using postx. Unfortunately the GUI seems to be
> corrupted, with missing text etc. (screengrab here:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4391032/Nekton_001.png )
>
> I am using Linux Mint with nvidia proprietary drivers, the problem seems
> to affect the other NEKTON tools (prex etc.) so I'm guessing it could be an
> X11 issue? Has anyone encountered this before? How did you fix it?
>

> 2) For meshing, I'm interested in fairly idealised, structured geometries,
> (e.g. impinging jets, boundary layers etc). I have a heap of existing
> OpenFOAM (hexahedral) blockMeshes already set up for LES. Has anyone
> managed to convert an OpenFOAM mesh to Nek5000? (Is it even possible to do
> this with a higher-order spectral code?) I was thinking about trying
> foamMeshToFluent, and then using the python script written by Mikael
> Mortensen ( https://bitbucket.org/mikael_mortensen/nek5000-tools ). Is
> this feasible?
>

> Thanks very much!
>
> James

Josh Camp

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
-- Edmund Burke