[Nek5000-users] hello from a new user (+ a couple of questions)

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 4 02:33:30 CST 2013

Dear all,

Firstly, I am a Nek5000 newbie, so please accept my apologies for any daft
questions!

- I have been working through the draft user guide, and am trying to view
the the eddy_uv case using postx. Unfortunately the GUI seems to be
corrupted, with missing text etc. (screengrab here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4391032/Nekton_001.png )

I am using Linux Mint with nvidia proprietary drivers, the problem seems to
affect the other NEKTON tools (prex etc.) so I'm guessing it could be an
X11 issue? Has anyone encountered this before? How did you fix it?

2) For meshing, I'm interested in fairly idealised, structured geometries,
(e.g. impinging jets, boundary layers etc). I have a heap of existing
OpenFOAM (hexahedral) blockMeshes already set up for LES. Has anyone
managed to convert an OpenFOAM mesh to Nek5000? (Is it even possible to do
this with a higher-order spectral code?) I was thinking about trying
foamMeshToFluent, and then using the python script written by Mikael
Mortensen ( https://bitbucket.org/mikael_mortensen/nek5000-tools ). Is this
feasible?

Thanks very much!

James