[Nek5000-users] Lagrangian particle tracking

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 13 09:24:50 CST 2013

Hi Barak,

I have just a bit of time but will try to give you some quick answers to start.

Interpolation is spectral.

Decreasing div error simply sets the iteration tolerance tighter ---
meaning that the _discrete_ system is solved to a tighter tolerance
(i.e., closer to machine precision).   However, it does not mean that
the divergence is necessarily smaller, since there is also a discretization
error associated with the fact that you are solving the discretized problem
and not the continuous one.   Discretization error can be reduced by
increasing lx1 or the number of elements.

If your problem is nondimensionalized in terms of convective timescales,
I find div=1.e-6 is generally adequate (except, say, for certain
stability problems, which tend to be very sensitive).  If you are working
in physical units, I would suggest set div=0 and tolrel = 0.01 ---- this
will automatically choose tolerances for you.  (It tends to be a bit more
conservative than the 1.e-6 value that I suggest above.)

There is a moving boundary example in the peristaltic flow example (/peris)
At present, I don't have any falling body examples.  Such a case is either
easy or very hard, depending on the flow domain.

hth,

Paul