[Nek5000-users] Adjoint outflow boundary condition

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 18 03:38:46 CDT 2012

Hi Paul,

thank you for your help.

The boundary conditions for the adjoint problem are chosen so as to nullify
the boundary terms obtained during the derivation of the linearized NS
adjoint equation. An exhaustive description of the derivation procedure for
our case could be found for example on "Marquet et. al., Sensitivity
analysis and passive control of cylinder flow, JFM 2008".

Just to be sure, what kind of outflow condition is applied in NEK? I
assumed that it is the traction free, maybe I am wrong.

However, I think I solve my issue by imposing a different boundary
condition, which is reasonable for the adjoint field that I expect.

Best Regards,

Andrea