[Nek5000-users] Traveling gravity waves

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 6 16:05:00 CST 2012

Hi Ammar,

    as I am using a single deepwater wave with amplitude a = 0.01 and
wavenumber k = 1 the steepness := k*a = 0.01 is quite low.
    Higher Order terms from Stokes
Theory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes_wave can be neglected as they
are small
    For example the third order solution for deep
water http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes_wave#Third-order_Stokes_wave_on_deep_water doesn't differ from the Airy Theory so the velocities are correct to order 3 in the pertubation series with respect to the
steepness
k*a
    Only the surface elevation differs in the order O( a²k +a³k) which
should be neglectable as well.

    I want to simulate a simple wave and than goto steeper waves with
higher nonlinearities (Stokes) in order to create a test case to see what
resolution and parameters are needed in NEK5000
    and then step up to more complex sea states. I already simulated this
wave with a pseudo-spectral method which stability strongly depends on
accurate initial Conditions and could simulate many periods without
problems.

    All the best, Arne

    PS: I'll let you know if 3rd Stokes made a difference

    Zitat von nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov: