[Nek5000-users] Explicit Viscosity for Pn-Pn

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 2 10:52:14 CDT 2011

Hi Josh,

Yes nu_star can be set by the user.

A cautionary note --- I've tested this on some semi-analytic
cases and it gives the same results as the Pn-Pn-2 formulation,
which has a well-tested variable viscosity formulation for
the full stress tensor.   Consequently, I was happy with it.

On the other hand, it seems that it does not work as well
as the explicit viscosity formulation set up by Stefan
for the dynamic Smagorinsky model applied to turbulent
flows.  I've not had time to sort this out yet.  Thus,
there'd be some benefit to testing beforehand... I'll be
happy to work with you on this.

Paul