[Nek5000-users] Passive scalar equation

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 3 10:47:51 CDT 2011

Dear all,

I was having a look into the code to see how the terms of the passive scalar equation are computed.

As far I understand, for iftran=true and ifcvode=true, the term "divergence*(lambda gradient(T))" is computed into the subroutine "makeq" by calling the subroutine "wlaplacian". The subroutine "wlaplacian" calls the subroutine "axhelm". It seems to me that the subroutine "axhelm" computes "lambda(laplacian T)" instead of "divergence*(lambda gradient(T))". Of course the two expressions are the same for a constant lambda, which is not my case. Why is it like this?
The subroutine "axhelm" is quite complex, therefore I am not sure that I understood it correctly.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards,
Andreas.