[Nek5000-users] Symetric / Antisymetric boundary conditions

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 29 09:27:12 CST 2011

Paul,

My original idea was to limit the computational cost of the calcul, but
your suggestion is what popped out my reflexion too finally. I am running
in parallel, but I do not have to explicitely orthogonalize with respect to
the symmetric modes anyway. Indeed, the latter are stable so the mode that
will come out the linearized direct simulation should be anti-symmetric
anyway.

Thanks,

On 16 November 2011 15:37, <nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Jean-Christophe,
>
> My only suggestion, without having to get too deep into
> code modifications, would be to run the full channel geometry
> and explicitly orthogonalize to remove the symmetric modes.
>
> Regarding details of how that would be done, it depends very
> much on your particular set up, whether you are running in
> parallel vs. serial, etc.
>
> Paul
>

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.**gov<nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov>wrote:
>
>  Hi Nek's,
>>
>> I am currently investigation the linear stability of a symetric base flow
>> using the linearized perturbation mode. As a matter of fact, I meshed only
>> half the domain and used the appropriate symetry boundary conditions. Up
>> now, I was intesrested only in its stability with respect to symetric
>> perturbations and thus had no problem. However, I am now interested in its
>> stability with respect to antisymetric perturbation and I was wondering if
>> there is any relatively simple way to implement such condition?
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Christophe

Jean-Christophe