[Nek5000-users] Average in arbitrary direction

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 18 15:59:18 CDT 2011

Hi Josh,

You can use the interp() routines --- let me check if we have
examples in the repo.

These are somewhat expensive, so if you're also integrating in
time (even over just 10 steps), it would pay to only interpolate
the time-averaged data, rather than interpolating every timestep
and then averaging the profiles.   However, I can understand that
there are times you'd want the full time signal.

The best integration formulae for periodic signals (e.g., in
your theta direction and perhaps in z, if you have periodicity)
is to simply sum the values, sampled uniformly in space (z or
theta), and dived by n, the number of samples.   You do need
to sample with sufficient density to capture all the wiggles ---
another reason that time averaging has value.

Paul