[Nek5000-users] Average in arbitrary direction

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 18 15:46:14 CDT 2011

Hello Neks,

I have looked at the turbChannel example for an example on planar averaging.

However, I was wondering if there was any advice  on how to do this if
the elements aren't exactly "nice"... (i.e., the elements may have
arbitrary rotations)

Specifically, I have a pipe flow, and I am wanting to do an average in
the z (axial) direction.  My initial thoughts were to interpolate my
values to set R, theta components, and then average this along z.  I'm
stuck on the best way to do either one of these operations, however
(especially because I would like to use an integration rule to compute
the average in the z direction).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be a big
help.  Thanks!

--
Josh Camp

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing" -- Edmund Burke