[Nek5000-users] Neek5000 variable viscosity case

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 16 07:16:20 CDT 2011

Dear Francesco,

For low Mach, if you want var. viscosity you must also set ifexplvis
to be true.   This will treat the remaining part of the stress tensor
explicitly, so that you do capture the physics of the full stress tensor.

Now, a couple of comments ---

The original explicit formulation, based on strong form developed by
Stefan,
worked well with our dyn. smag. model, but was not in exact agreement
the PnPn-2 stress formulation until refined to convergence.

I modified this to a weak form in January and it does now agree w/ PnPn-2,
but the dyn. smag. tests that I've done do not work.

I've been so busy for the past months with travel and proposal writing
that I've not had a chance to understand why dyn. smag. appears to be
broken.  I'm hoping to resolve this shortly.

Cheers,

Paul