[Nek5000-users] Arbitrary mesh deformation

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 14 06:48:58 CDT 2011

Howdy neks,

I am interested in deforming meshes (i.e. a wall surface shifted in the
wall normal direction) with an arbitrary coordinate list - that means I
have the new coordinates for every grid point, but they don't adhere to
any particular mathematical function.
What I did in the past is that I only used the deformation for the
element corners (and nek would linearly interpolate in between).
Depending on the element resolution, this yielded a more or less
accurate first order approximation of the surface I intended to generate.
My question is: can I use this procedure on every GL grid point? I know
that the routine we currently use for complex surfaces approximates with
2nd order functions. Can one do sines/cosines/third or higher order as
well? Or can the GL point shifting in usrdat2 be completely arbitrary?

Thanks,
Markus