[Nek5000-users] Re : CYCLIC BC for bend pipe

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jun 26 13:10:25 CDT 2011

Hi Azad,

Yes - you can do this in usrdat2.

Below is an example that would put a 90 degree semicircular
arc into the x-y plane, which is what you would need.  (Note,
I just coded this without testing it..., so you'll need to
verify and obviously modify to get your correct geometry.)

Cheers,

Paul

c-----------------------------------------------------------------------
      subroutine usrdat2
      include 'SIZE'
      include 'TOTAL'

      n = nx1*ny1*nz1*nelv

c    First, rotate x into axial position
      do i=1,n
         x_original = xm1(i,1,1,1)
         y_original = ym1(i,1,1,1)
         z_original = zm1(i,1,1,1)

         xm1(i,1,1,1) =  z_original
         ym1(i,1,1,1) =  y_original
         zm1(i,1,1,1) = -x_original
      enddo

c    Second, bend pipe into 90 degree bend (say)

      xmin = glmin(xm1,n)
      xmax = glmax(xm1,n)
      ymin = glmin(ym1,n)
      ymax = glmax(ym1,n)
      rad0 = .5*(ymax-ymin) ! Radius of initial pipe
      rad1 = 0.5            ! Radius of new pipe (say)
      radm = 1.5            ! Major radius of torus

      do i=1,n

         x     = xm1(i,1,1,1)
         y     = ym1(i,1,1,1)

         theta = 0.5*pi*(x-xmin)/(xmax-xmin)
         rad   = radm + rad1*(y-ymin)/(ymax-ymin)

         ym1(i,1,1,1) = rad*cos(theta)  ! This should be the
         xm1(i,1,1,1) = rad*sin(theta)  ! correct orientation.

      enddo
      return
      end