[Nek5000-users] Number of elements for 3D simulations

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 16 07:12:29 CDT 2011

Hello,

I wanted to ask if it would be possible to allow to run nekton with less
than 3 elements in the z-direction. I run a lot of simulations for a
spanwise homogeneous swept wing geometry. The baseflow can be obtained
solving a 2D problem where the heat equation is solved as the spanwise
momentum equation. However, I also want to study the stability of this
flow and thus solve the linearised Navier-Stokes eq. for some modal
disturbances, i.e. u(x,y,z) = u'(x,y)*exp(i*beta*z). If I would be able
to resolve this mode with less than 3 elements in the spanwise direction
it would save me a lot of computational time.

Best regards,

David