[Nek5000-users] Perturbation Mode

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 6 14:37:27 CST 2011

On this topic, here are a couple of observations:

1. Perturbation solver was running slower than the nonlinear
    (std) solver because the perturbation solver did not use
    projection [Fischer1998] to accelerate the pressure solver.

    I've modified this so that pressure projection will be used
    for the perturbation solver if the following conditions are met:

    a. # perturbation modes = 1
    b. baseflow is _not_ computed.

    These conditions could likely be relaxed, but for robustness
    I put them in since I don't have time to test all possible
    combinations at the moment.   The rationale for these restrictions
    is that we (may or) may not want to mix the approximation spaces
    from the different pressure solves that are used to generate the
    initial guesses for each pressure solve.  The above conditions
    ensure that pressure projection is used when there is only a
    single unknown pressure field and thus there will not be cross-
    population of the approximation space.   [ Most likely, it would
    not hurt to have multiple source for the approximation space, but
    things get tricky when there are linear dependencies and my
    discriminators to identify these conditions are not robust.]

2. Linear solver was blowing up while nonlinear was not.

    The case in question is high Reynolds number (minimally dissipative)
    with TORDER=3 --- this case is in fact not guaranteed to be stable
    because the BDF3 timestepper is not A-stable, i.e., there are certain
    regions in the on the imaginary axis that are unstable.  For some
    reason, this issue is cured for the nonlinear case with filtering
    [FischerMullen2001].  It appears, however, that the same fix does
    not cure these linear problems -- not certain why.

    The fix in this case seems to be to switch to TORDER=2, which has
    standard (i.e., CFL type) stability constraints and behavior.

-- Please let me know if you have any further issues with this,
    and thanks to the KTH guys for providing a test case!

Paul