[Nek5000-users] Perturbation Mode

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 3 11:26:33 CST 2011

Hi David,

The perturbation solver was developed roughly 10 years back
and hasn't been extensively exercised in recent years.  As it
is updated only when used (as you guys are doing now) there may
be some maintenance that is overdue.

There is no intrinsic reason why the perturbation solver
should need a smaller timestep than the nonlinear one, so
it sounds as though something is amiss; and most likely
this is something that is fairly readily remedied.

Some questions:

   .Are you using IFCHAR = true for your nonlinear solver?

    (I'm not certain of the status of IFCHAR + IFPERT at the
     moment.)

Given that I'll be there next week we can look at this first-hand.
I understand that you guys have already encountered (and perhaps
resolved?) some issues with the perturbation solver, so hopefully
we can get it all straightened out.

If you'd like to send me the case files, I can take a quick look
now.  (You can email me off-list...)

I look forward to meeting you next week!

Best regards,

Paul