[Nek5000-users] Solving for fluid flows on a sphere

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun Aug 14 07:56:47 CDT 2011

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the diagnosing this problem. Indeed it is bad initial data. At
the moment I do not have specific initial data or forcing to work with and
so I'm just trying out the feasibility of using NEK to solve on the shell. I
should have some concrete initial data in the next couple of days.

When I try to repeat the run with

ux = 0.0
uy = 0.0
uz = 0.0

and

ffx = 0.0
ffy = 0.0
ffz = 1.0

NEK shows a lot of convergence errors. Could you check this out?

I've attached the .rea file.

Thanks,
Mani