[Nek5000-users] Solving for fluid flows on a sphere

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 11 07:16:12 CDT 2011

Hi Mani,

Probably your best bet is to use a very thin layer of elements
in a 3D spherical shell with SYM bcs on faces 5 & 6, plus the
stress formulation.  I would imagine that a shell of thickness
.001 with R=1.0 might be feasible.

Instructions for constructing a 3D shell can be found in
www.mcs.anl.gov/~fischer/primer.pdf

(Some of this info may already have been transferred into
current manual.)   We can help with this if you need any
assistance.

Regards,

Paul