[Nek5000-users] Smooth Restart feature in Nek

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 24 10:53:35 CDT 2010

Hi all.

First, i have a comment that may save some time to some users.
If i am  correct, in Paul's comments rstx.fld03 and rstx.fld04 are the
two fields after the x.fld92. Thus if x.fld92 is the field at time step
NT=9200 , rstx.fld03 and rstx.fld04  are at NT=9201 and NT=9202.

This means that if you want to restart a simulation from NT=10000, you
need to run it at least until NT=10002 ( using Torder=3).
Is that correct?

Second, i have a problem. I think I am able to restart the velocity
smoothly, but i may have a problem with the temperature.
Attached there are two figures of the  perturbation energy
(e2=<vx^2+vy^2>) and the temperature root mean square during the restart
of  an heated turbulent channel. The full restart clearly improves  e2,
while the temperature has the same behavior of the standard restart. Am
I misled  by the plots? Do i have to do anything particular for the
restart of the scalars? Did anybody else have the same issue?

Thank you for any help.
francesco