[Nek5000-users] heat transfer in a channel

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 17 13:25:32 CDT 2010

Zhicheng,

We've run under these conditions on a regular basis with this
technique.

Because temperature is determined only up to a constant there
is no apriori reason to anticipate T > 0 everywhere.

In general, for uniform heat flux boundary conditions, one writes

     T(X,t) = T'(X,t) + gamma x  +  C

with X=(x,y,z) and T'(X,t) = T'(X+L,t) being the periodic
part computed by nek.  Here, C is an arbitrary constant and gamma
is a constant determined by the mean temperature rise in the
system.  Gamma (in your case, gamma==1) should be chosen to
balance the thermal enegy input at the boundaries with the flux
advected by the mean flow.

Note that if constant temperature bcs (as opposed to const. flux)
are a bit trickier as that effectively amounts to solving an
eigenvalue problem.  (See, e.g.,

    M. Greiner, G. Spencer, and P. Fischer, "Direct numerical simulation
    of three-dimensional flow and augmented heat transfer in a grooved
    channel" ASME J. of Heat Transfer 120 3 pp.  717-723 (1998).

).

Paul