[Nek5000-users] Temperature Issue, non physical values for certain Pr num.

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 18 02:08:36 CST 2010

Hi Michael,

Yes - this is a well-known issue when not fully resolved
because the code does not preserve monotonicity,
particularly at LES resolutions.  It is a high-prioty
item, but won't be addressed till next year.  Under
these circumstances I typically clip the temperature
field - which is a poor man's monotonicity preservation
algorithm.  Although unsatisfying, it's not all that bad
and we've gotten very good results in some past mixed-stream
problems where there is a sharp interface.  (One can, of
course, always come up w/ a case where this approach doesn't
work and something more robust is required, which is why
we'll be looking into this soon...)

Paul