[Nek5000-users] [*] Re: [*] Re: RB convection with high Rayleigh numbers

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Sun May 16 06:13:00 CDT 2010

Hi Mani,

Note that your other email did not go to the users list because
of the size of the attachments.  I got it though and tried it.

It looks like the following steps should work ---

    .reduce COURANT to 2.0 instead of 5.0
    .set TORDER=2
    .set initial DT (param 12) to .001
    .reduce lx1 to 5  and lxd to 8 in your SIZE file

I tried this and it seems to work ok, save that I ran my
case w/ Pr=1  (param 2).

Your case w/ p2=6.8 is a bit harder, so you may need to also
use the reduced initial Ra values per your .usr file.

Once you are at the target Ra, you can increase lx1, lxd, and
Torder, then restart.

The issue with the walls is that they trap the fluid in the
corner.  Then when the heating is turned on you get a
stagnant hot spot that builds up until it finally goes
unstable --- this happens on a timescale faster than the
early-time convective timescale (which is relatively long
until the flow really starts moving), so the explicit
treatment of the buoyancy leads to an instability.

Reducing Courant to 2.0 instead of 5.0 forces nek5000 to
reduce dt more severely.   Note that we're able to exceed
CFL of unity for convection because of the OIFS convective
time integrator.   The explicit Boussinesq forcing, however,
has it's own timestep restriction and tends to dominate the
stability constraints at early times until the flow is moving.

Paul