[Nek5000-users] perturbing interior variables

nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 11 17:40:41 CDT 2010

Hi Frank,

Yes.

You can call dsavg() on each timestep and you'd be ok.
It simply projects the solution onto the space of continuous
functions.   If it's already there, then it won't change
anything.

Note, if you are doing conjugate heat transfer or have
a problem with a different topology for u and T (e.g.,
periodic bcs for u but not for T), then you would need:

       ifield=1
       call dsavg(vx)
       call dsavg(vy)
       call dsavg(vz)
       ifield=2
       call dsavg(t)

In 99.9% of all cases run with Nek, however, you can ignore this
last comment.

Paul

On Wed, 12 May 2010, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 17:14 -0500, nek5000-users at lists.mcs.anl.gov
wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Yes - any function that is supposed to be continuous should be
> so at timestep 0, else there will be problems.

Hi Paul,

But if one is perturbing the velocity and/or temperature not at t=0 but
at a later time (in "userchk") then "dsavg" should still be called?

Cheers,
Frank